5 Foundry Lane, Newlyn, Penzance, Cornwall, TR18 5JD, UK
Tel: +44 (0)7938935361
Hand Wiped Tinning. The Only Method for Quality Cookware. Traditional & Best.
Considerations on Cookware.
If you see faint pink, or bare copper, it’s time for Re-Tinning!
Much can be found about the different grades of copper cookware. Regarding standard sets of saucepans, or part thereof, there are recognized grades to be made aware of. This is much the same for all copper cookware with exceptions of specialist wares.
Generally speaking, the thicker the copper, the better the pan.
Pots and pans are formed from copper sheets of various thicknesses, with those in excess of 2.5 mm considered commercial (or extra-fort) grade. Between 1.5 mm and 2.5 mm wall thickness is considered utility (fort) grade, with thicknesses below 1.5 mm often requiring tube beading or edge rolling to reinforce structural rigidity in circular configurations. Less than 1.5mm wall thickness is generally considered decorative, with exception made for the case of .75–1 mm planished copper, which is work-hardened by hammering and therefore expresses performance and strength characteristic of thicker material.
All pans to be shipped to Newlyn Tinning in a suitable, strong, well-packed box.
Please include a note with your name, address, email & telephone number.
Newlyn Tinning can provide a new lease of life to your copper cookware with full Re-Tinning & Reconditioning
The cost of this service can easily be calculated by multiplying the diagonal dimension of the pan, in millimeters, from the base to the opposite rim as shown in the diagram below by £0.20 or by using the service calculator under the diagram.
UK’s only Re-Tinning Service that’s currently VAT inclusive.
Invoice will be sent on completion of work with all relevant BACS details.
If paying by cheque or postal order, please include this with your delivery made out to Mr Steven Pearse.
Return Shipping Fee to be found at Payments & Shipping.
If the pan is oval or square, an average of the smallest and largest diagonal measurements should be used.
The cost for a round cover is priced at £0.10 per millimeter, multiplied by the diameter.
Please use half the diameter measurement of your cover if using the calculator above for an accurate quote.
Please use an average of the largest and smallest measurements for rectangular or oval covers.
Each and every pot or pan I receive will undergo a thorough 5 Stage process.
1. First of all, each pan will undergo a deep clean to remove all oils, greases and baked on carbon providing a clean item to be further worked.
2. Next, each pan will be reshaped and all rivets checked and tightened.
3. Following the shaping, pans will be completely stripped of all previous lining & oxides leaving a molecular sound surface pre-tinning.
Minor splits and Braze cracks will now be repaired if needed with food grade silver solder. Sorry, major splits, gaps and faults will need to be discussed.
4. Now the pan is ready for tinning and will have a traditional whiting to provide protection to the exterior & a specially formulated flux by Newlyn Tinning applied to the cooking surface. The whole pan is then heated to the correct temperature & re-tinned. Tinning the whole pan at once will give a superior lining compared to tinning in sections as many do. Each will be heated, tin applied and wiped at least twice giving thickness to the tin.
The tinning process used is the traditional hand wiped method. The only way for quality copper cookware!!!!
5. Finally, each pan will be externally cleaned and polished through five stages to reveal the beautiful luster of the copper.
Usual turnaround is up to 3-4 weeks from receiving to return.